> Brewpub Grub: Beer Battered Fish and Chips, Beach Chalet Brewery and Restaurant, San Francisco CA

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Beer Battered Fish and Chips, Beach Chalet Brewery and Restaurant, San Francisco CA

I found myself in San Francisco, a city that I had not visited for over 25 years. Shame on me. I decided to check out a brewpub on the outer reaches of the City by the Bay: Beach Chalet.

The Beach Chalet Brewery and Restaurant is located at the very end of Golden Gate Park. Think where San Francisco ends and the Pacific Ocean begins. Beach Chalet is housed in a charming old building with a magnificent view of the ocean.  Inside, on the ground floor, you can see some fantastic WPA frescoes created by Lucien Labaudt in the 1930s.It's interesting to see what life looked like at the same beach and building that you are presently standing in.

Going upstairs you arrive at the restaurant. I arrived during lunch and decided to try the mahi-mahi VFW Beer Battered Fish and Chips, with house made tartar sauce, fries and cole slaw.

Beer Battered Fish and Chips
The fish is battered with the house VFW Light ale. Sprinkling the wedge of lemon on the fish and a moderate dousing of malt vinegar on the fries, I relived the many true fish and chips meals that I have come to enjoy. Dipping the fish into the tartar sauce and then biting into the fish, you are rewarded with the initial crunch of the battered coat, followed by the moist mahi-mahi inside. I wish that there were an "All-you-can-eat" lunch during times as these. The fries proved crunch outside and moist inside. I slurped up the slaw.

For my brew, I chose the Rip Tide Red, a tidy, slightly malty brew, with an easy hop bitterness. This red was a pleasant addendum to the fish and fries.



Room With a View

And since you are at the end of the continent, you have a room with a view. A great part of your dining experience at Beach Chalet is the view of the ocean. Sit, eat, drink. . .  and sit some more. Have another brew. Enjoy.

http://www.beachchalet.com/

Monday to Friday open 9am
Saturday & Sunday open 8am
Sunday to Thursday until 10pm
Friday & Saturday until 11pm



1000 Great Highway at Ocean Beach 
San Francisco, California, 94121

415-386-8439


No comments: