> Brewpub Grub: Baked Haddock Sandwich, Sebago Brewing Co, Portland, ME

Thursday, October 13, 2016

Baked Haddock Sandwich, Sebago Brewing Co, Portland, ME

Spending so much brewpub time in Portland, Oregon, that when I find myself in the other-and older (so I've been told) Portland, it is incumbent that I visit one of its brewpubs. Unfortunately, I have only enough time to visit one brewpub: Sebago Brewing.

Continuing with Maine's seafood tradition, I order the Baked Haddock Sandwich. Sebago's offering of the New England fish sandwich is fresh baked haddock with a side of fries.

Baked Haddock Sandwich
What you get is a hefty piece of haddock baked in a breadcrumb crust with the usual lettuce, tomato on your choice of roll, all slathered in a tasty tartar sauce. The crispy breadcrumb crust allowed the haddock to retain all the fishy juices that made the sandwich a pleasant eating experience. Also, Sebago gives you enough fish and fries to make your sit-down a filling and satisfying meal.

The fries were hot and crispy, just the way I like them. The ciabatta roll had a dusting of flour on top that made a nice statement to the sandwich. Also, on the plate was a real good juicy pickle spear.

For my brew, I chose Sebago's Saddleback Ale. This is a light ale, almost like a lager in body. With a mild hoppiness and a clean mouth feel, the Saddleback is easy drinking and is a good beer to pair with the haddock and fries.

Sebago Brewing is located in Portland's historic old port district, a pleasant area for a walking tour after your meal. One brewpub visit in this historical city was not enough to do Portland justice. I shall return.

Monday-Saturday: 11am-1am
Sebago Brewing Company

Sunday: 11am-Midnight

211 Fore St, Portland, ME 

207-775-2337

website

No comments: