> Brewpub Grub: Shepherd's Pie, Columbia River Brewing Co. Portland, OR

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Shepherd's Pie, Columbia River Brewing Co. Portland, OR

Meeting a friend for Happy Hour at Columbia River Brewing, I ordered the HH Chicken Strips Basket. And as Happy Hour segued into dinner and being a foody fool, I also ordered a full dinner. Note to self: light breakfast tomorrow.

For dinner, I chose the evening's special: Shepherd's Pie. This magnificently looking dish arrived hot and steaming. With melted cheese bubbling along the plate's sides, you dip a fork into the dish, and you have an eye popping delight awaiting your taste. The creamy mashed potatoes along with the juicy beef is swooning melt-in-your-mouth goodness. The melted cheese is rich, with just the right amount of herbs and spices to play against the gravy. In all, the Shepherd's Pie is a delicious treat.
Shepherd's Pie
For my Happy Hour appetizer, I chose the Chicken Strips, which was a meal by itself. I should have stopped with the chicken, but the above mentioned Shepherd's Pie beckoned. The Chicken Strips appetizer came as a basket of golden fried chicken strips with beer battered fries and dressing. For a light meal, I would recommend to arrive in time for Happy Hour and try the chicken. Crunchy and crisp, the chicken would not disappoint.
Happy Hour Chicken Basket
For my brew, I chose the seasonal Paddler's Porter. Up front, I want to say that this beer is probably one of the best porters I have ever tasted. And I'm partial to porters and stouts. Made with a blend of seven malts, chocolate nibs and Madagascar vanilla beans, the Paddler's drank down sweet and smooth-a perfect beer for the Shepherd's Pie. 


Columbia River Brewing is located in Portland's Hollywood district, a friendly neighborhood of interesting shops, restaurants, with vintage houses alongside modern condos. At Happy Hour, the brewpub fills with neighborhood locals and workers who stop by for a bite and brew before heading home. If you are in the area, check out Columbia River Brewing. You'll enjoy your visit.

Sunday-Thursday 11am-10pm
Friday-Saturday 11am-11pm

Happy Hour: everyday from 3pm to 6pm & again at 9pm until close (Friday and Saturday.)

 

503-943-6157


1728 Northeast 40th Avenue  Portland, OR

http://www.columbiariverbrewpub.com/

1 comment:

The Portland Thinker said...

Oh My God. Their food is always amazing. Every single time I have been there their food and beer make my tummy happy!