> Brewpub Grub: Ale Battered Fish and Chips, McMenamins East Vancouver Brewery, WA

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Ale Battered Fish and Chips, McMenamins East Vancouver Brewery, WA

Finding myself mid-afternoon in East Vancouver, Washington, I stopped by McMenamins Brewpub. I have been going to Mike and Brian McMenamin's other brewpubs for many years, so I thought I would explore the East Vancouver site. The brothers have always put good food and great beer on the table.


It was Happy Hour, and my eyes were bigger than my stomach: I ordered the Fish and Chips AND a starter of Cajun Tots, along with a pint. More food than I should have eaten, but sometimes you just do foolish things. Maybe someday I'll learn.


Ale Battered Fish and Chips
And the meal was a treat. The ale battered wild Alaskan cod proved crackly-crunchy on the outside and succulently moist inside. They give you two generous cuts of cod along with fresh cut fries and a tasty serving of coleslaw. Sprinkling malt vinegar over the fries, lemon on the fish, I picked through every morsel. This dish was plenty. I also ordered the HH  Cajun Tots, tater tots seasoned with mild, cajun spices. The tots were a wonderfully flavorful HH treat. I think that if I had only ordered the Cajun Tots, a sinful desert, along with a pint or two, I would have left the pub full and satisfied.


Cajun Tots
For my beer, I asked the waiter what he would recommend. He mentioned they had some interesting lagers. I'm still exploring NW lagers, so I tried the recommended Maibock. The bock came to me crisp, with a sweet and hoppy character; a robust beer that measures up well to the more popular NW ales. 




The East Vancouver brewpub filled up fast with patrons taking advantage of HH prices for pints and starters. Dads and moms and their children along with office workers and others filled the restaurant. As with many of the McMenamins Brewpubs, these guests are greeted by more than 70 colorful amber lights hanging from the ceiling, wooden booths, and interesting wall hangings to make for a pleasing visual as well as culinary experience.


Monday, 11 a.m.–11 p.m. 
Tuesday through Thursday, 11 a.m.–12 midnight 
Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m.–1 a.m. 



Happy Hour:  3–6 p.m. & 10 p.m.–close
Sunday, 11 a.m.–11 p.m.




1900 N.E. 162nd, Ste. B107
Vancouver, WA 98684



No comments: