> Brewpub Grub: Wawsa Yawsa Hamburger, Golden Valley Brewpub, McMinnville, OR

Friday, February 25, 2011

Wawsa Yawsa Hamburger, Golden Valley Brewpub, McMinnville, OR

After spending a pleasant weekend on the Oregon coast, my wife and I stopped at Golden Valley Brewery in McMinnville’s historic downtown district. This is the second time we've visited GVB.We had burgers for lunch. Why burgers? Because all GVB’s burgers are 1/3rd pound of all natural Black Angus beef raised on the owners’ 76 acres family ranch. This is quality beef. The herd is fed the spent brewery grain, which offers twice the protein and fiber as regular feed. There are no hormones or antibiotics fed to the cattle. These bovines eat gourmet grain. I like the notion that the mash grains are fed to the cattle.

The burgers came served on a fresh Kaiser roll with all the fixin’s. Along with the burger, you have a choice of fries, German potato salad or coleslaw. I chose the hearty Wawsa Yawsa hamburger with the very excellent potato salad. This burger came with grilled Portobello mushrooms, Oregon Bleu cheese, and roasted red peppers.

Wawsa Yawsa Hamburger with Potato Salad
The mushrooms and peppers added a complex complement to the beef. Every once in awhile, the bleu cheese signaled a sharp whoo-hooo! to the mellow mushroom. And the potato salad is so tasty that I, on a hot summer Oregon afternoon, could easily eat just the salad and drink beer. Eat and drink all afternoon, with the wife driving me home.

My wife chose the Blackened Bleu burger, a 1/3rd pound of flame seared meat with Cajun spices, topped with Oregon bleu cheese and peppered bacon. Needless to say, both of us declined on dessert.

Blackened Bleu Burger with Potato Salad                . 
For my brew, I chose the Dundee Porter. The porter tasted more hoppy and less sweet than the porters that I am used to. The brew drank down nicely with a full and robust flavor. I would recommend stopping by for brew and burgers next time you are in the area.


SATSunday-Saturday: 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM 


980 NE 4th St

McMinnvilleOR 97128
(503) 472-2739

No comments: