> Brewpub Grub: Smoked Sausage Plate, Thunder Canyon Brewery, Tucson AZ

Monday, March 14, 2011

Smoked Sausage Plate, Thunder Canyon Brewery, Tucson AZ

After the pleasant lunch in Phoenix, I headed south to Tucson to visit my sister. While there, we decided to check out Thunder Canyon Brewery. Thunder Canyon is known for many delectable dishes and drinks, most notably, their magnificent sausages and unique drinks.

We arrived for lunch, and I chose the sausage plate. The plate comes with pub fries and cole slaw. The star of the plate was the sausage. Coming straight from the smoker, the sausage arrived crispy on the outside, and juicy on the inside. Biting into the wurst, the sausage skin breaks open and you are rewarded with a burst of wurst juices. I decided to eat only the sausage, forgoing the bread, so that I could concentrate on the sausage. If you like smoked sausages, I recommend you visit Thunder Canyon.



Smoked Sausage Plate
Looking over to my sister's plate, I saw another amazing concoction: a generous serving of BBQ pork shoulder, onion rings, and a tempting serving of Southwest baked beans. The pork shoulder is slow smoked over pecan wood. I was allowed to try the baked beans and they were delicious.

BBQ Pork Shoulder
And for my brew, I chose a seasonal stout. This would be the second seasonal stout that I tried during my visit to Arizona. And what a unique and worthy drink! This stout is stored in recycled whiskey barrels, so the brew comes to you with the usual rich flavors of a sweet and robust heavy ale, but also with the real taste of whiskey. As in Phoenix, this stout was for a slow, measured, and thoughtful tasting. I'm from the Pacific Northwest, with the opinion that northwest ales are the benchmark for microbrews. However, I've never encountered such two exceptional stouts as worthy as these. Ageing a stout or porter in recycled whiskey barrels could create a whole new line of microbrews, a cross between ale and liqueurs. Again, this stout is seasonal, so plan ahead.



Open daily 11 a.m.
Happy Hour: 3-7 p.m.

7401 N La Cholla Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85741

No comments: