> Brewpub Grub: Clevelander Hamburger, Barley's Brewing Co, Columbus OH

Friday, November 25, 2011

Clevelander Hamburger, Barley's Brewing Co, Columbus OH


On my brewpub journeys, I'm always looking for interesting or exotic food. Here at Barley's Brewing, I found a thought provoking description of a hamburger: The Clevelander. What's so special about the Clevelander? How about kielbassa and peirogies on your burger? You can't find that in your neighborhood brewpub.


The Clevelander is a steak burger of 100 percent tenderloin, sirloin and strip loin trimmings, custom ground and grilled to your preference. Throw on a tomato slice, sauteed ale-washed onions, pickles, along with the grilled kielbassa and two peirogies, and served with some greens, and you have yourself one big Buckeye burger.

The Clevelander Hamburger
The Clevelander burger patty is juicy on its own right. But what made the sandwich outstanding and fun was the tasty kielbasa and absolutely wonderful caramelized onions. Along with the sweet onions the kielbasa had that salty spiciness that contrasted nicely with the burger patty. Chewing on those three gustatory treats made the Clevelander an adventure in eating. The peirogies kept slipping out from between the buns, so I ate them separately.


Since two peirogies came with my sandwich, I decided to forego the usual fries and chose the lighter Chipotle Slaw as a side. The slaw proved peppery and spicy, a contrast to the the heavy sandwich. I could only eat small portions of the peppery slaw at a time to be followed by a swallow of water, then brew. I'm not complaining, mind you. The slaw was good as was the beer.



And for my beer, I chose the cask conditioned Abbey Normal. This Belgian style ale comes to you in a whopping 8.6 percent alcohol by volume and is served in a snifter. The red-amber Abbey came across to me smooth and slightly sweet, with a full body as an aftertaste. I enjoyed sipping this drink more than washing down the burger with it. In all, a very fine brew for an after dinner sip. For a beer to drink with the Clevelander, I would suggest a lighter beer such as Barley's Pilsner.


Mon-Thurs 11AM-midnight
Fri-Sat 11AM-2AM
Sunday noon-11PM

Happy Hour
Monday-Friday: 3:00-7:00 PM



467 North High Street
Columbus OH
614-228-ALES (2537)



http://www.barleysbrewing.com/

No comments: