> Brewpub Grub: Brat & Pierogi, Great Lakes Brewing Co, Cleveland OH

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Brat & Pierogi, Great Lakes Brewing Co, Cleveland OH

Back in the Midwest visiting an old friend, I find myself in sausage country. And what I have in front of me is a regional treat: bratwurst and pierogi. What you get is a nice looking brat, potato and cheese pierogis on top of braised red cabbage. For condiments you get sour cream and a really good Dijon mustard. I ordered the smaller one brat plate; you can order a second brat if you are truly hungry.


Brat & Pierogi
The brat and pierogi is basic blue collar arranged on a high brow plate. Grilled, the brat retains all its wonderful sausage juices until released with the first bite. Chewy and succulent, the meat and spices of the sausage blend into a mouthful of brat pleasure. Adding a dip of mustard and sour cream to the next brat morsel changes the complexity and taste. And still delicious. 

The pierogis arrived lightly crusted on the outside. Taking a bite, the pierogi rewards with a 
potatoey creamy inside with hints of savory cheese. A delightful side dish.



Butternut Squash Ravioli
My friend Eric chose the interesting Butternut Squash Ravioli. Nicely presented, the ravioli is Ohio City Pasta filled with butternut squash, sauteed with brown butter, Swiss chard, and topped with walnuts. I asked for a bite and it was delicious. I recommend it if you like pasta dishes.

For my brew, I chose the Fitz Porter. A gold medal winner at the World Beer Championships and the Great American Beer Festival, the porter drank down as a well balanced brew. Bitter sweet and not too heavy, the porter complemented the spicy brat with a mellow malty taste.
Great Lakes Brewing Co.

Monday - Thursday: 11:30 AM - 10:30 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:30 AM - 11:30 PM
Sundays: Closed

Happy hour

Monday - Friday 4:00 PM - 7:00 PM

2516 Market Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio
216-771-4404


http://www.greatlakesbrewing.com

No comments: