> Brewpub Grub: Shepherd's Pie, Ice Axe Grill, Government Camp, OR

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Shepherd's Pie, Ice Axe Grill, Government Camp, OR

On a fall visit to Mount Hood I stopped by Ice Axe Grill for a pleasant lunch and beer. I chose the always faithful Shepard's Pie. This Shepherd's arrived in a steaming concoction of lamb and beef with onions, carrots and peas, topped with Parmesan whipped potatoes. I ordered a side of beer bread because I was really hungry.
Shepherd's Pie
With spoon in hand I dug in. This is a rich and satisfying dish. With bits of peas, carrots and gravy on my spoon, the tender lamb and beef was melt-in-your-mouth good. And the slurpy gravy was a delightful treat to wrap around the creamy potatoes. Add parmesan to the mix, and you get a wonderful medley of tastes and textures to your palate. The secret in eating any Shepherd's Pie is to use a big spoon.

For my brew, I chose the cask conditioned stout. Brewed on site by Mount Hood Brewing Co., the stout drank down rich and smoky, with a slight sweetness to it. This is a thick drink to enjoy slowly. Taking sips rather than quaffs, this hearty beer went well with the juicy Shepherd's Pie on this fall Oregon day.


Located on the south  side of Mount Hood in Government Camp, Ice Axe Grill is a popular stop for locals after a day of skiing or hiking before the downhill drive to Portland. 
Ice Axe Grill




Daily: 11:30am-9pm


87304 East Government Camp Loop Road, Government Camp, OR

503-272-3172

http://www.iceaxegrill.com/


No comments: